Friday, January 1, 2010

Middle Creek Battlefield and Pilot Powers

More stuff that you see when you drive back roads. Francis Gary Powers was the most famous human being on the planet when his spy plane was shot down over the USSR in 1960. I had no idea that he was born in the tiny village of Pound, Virginia. This old, weathered sign was posted on Orby Cantrell (I looked it up, he was a State Senator from VA), State Highway 23 in Virginia. Supervan asked if she could get in this shot with the Powers sign.

One of hundreds of Civil War Battle sites, but worth a stop to look. This one was about 1 hour north of Hazard.


Battlefield Memorial Flags blowing nicely in the wind.

Though the actual battle resulted in the death of something like 20 men, I found two more dead soldiers in the parking lot. I am sure there is a story behind this bottle of vodka. I would like to think that some relatives of the deceased came here to pay tribute.


I did not know what to think of these additional dead soldiers left in the parking lot of the Middle Creek Battlefield Memorial. There they were, open, something taken out of them I am guessing, and now, for the time being, part of the battle site.

No comments:

Post a Comment